Internship Period: Early May to Mid-August
We are looking for an enthusiastic student to assist with government relations and research. Reporting to the Manager of Research and Policy, this position offers hands-on experience in the process of policy making as well as advocacy and government relations. The successful candidate will support the Tourism Industry Association of Canada (TIAC)'s public affairs team in researching, developing and communicating policy positions to advance the interests of the travel and tourism industry. Specific tasks will include:
• Parliamentary monitoring and reporting (weekly summaries);
• Media monitoring and reporting (weekly summaries);
• Assisting in researching industry issues including: global and domestic tourism statistics; visa, aviation, and labour policies; and economic impact of tourism;
• Assisting public affairs team with Government Relations outreach: helping to preparing for meetings with decision makers;
• Assist in delivery of other projects such as industry trade missions, Tourism Week events, TIAC's Tourism Town Hall Series, and the Tourism Congress.
The Delta Hotels internship also requires the student conduct a research project that will further the communication needs of both Delta Hotels and TIAC. This year the project will serve to inform TIAC's position paper will provide an overview of how the Canadian tourism industry generates quality jobs, especially for youth, and contributes to successful careers.
Skills & Qualifications
A successful candidate will be:
• A strong written and oral communicator
• A self-starter who can work under limited supervision
• Well-organized and able to juggle multiple tasks
• Knowledgeable and experienced in a variety of research processes and methodology
• Enthusiastic and knowledgeable about policy, politics and the public sector
• Strong interest in the tourism and travel sectors in Canada
• Bilingualism is an asset
Monday, March 31, 2014
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Rob Taylor, VP Strategy & Public Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Tourism Industry Association of Canada
The Tourism Industry Association of Canada is the only national organization representing the full cross-section of Canada's $81.7 billion tourism industry. TIAC's members include air and passenger rail services, airport authorities, local and provincial destination authorities, hotels, attractions and tour operators.