Effective Date: immediately
Closes: January 9, 2012
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest demonstrating qualifications, along with a resume to: Aileen White, Director of Communications & Public Affairs. The completion of a WHS application is not required for this position.
The Communications and Public Affairs Department of The Winnipeg Humane Society (WHS) is responsible for all internal and external communication strategies and projects. External communications includes corporate communications – branding and public relations, the website, development of various communications products, supporting the CEO in his representation of The WHS; and program communications – from coordinating new and existing community outreach programs, and event and/or advocacy support. The Communications Coordinator is a vital member to the success of the Communications & Public Affairs Department, and thus to The Winnipeg Humane Society as a whole. The individual should be willing to expect as much responsibility as you can handle across all areas of these areas.
The Coordinator must be open-minded and flexible, pro-active, and eager to learn by doing; this individual must be willing and able to multi-task and handle a varied workload with many tasks needing accomplishing; this individual must be organized. In addition the Coordinator will have a good eye for design, possessing intuitive attributes in a variety of these areas. You must demonstrate superb public/customer service skills, maturity, confidence; as well as creativity and vision.
- Computer skills essential; Knowledge of Indesign, Adobe professional suite
- Experience writing, proofreading or editing
- Experience working within busy multi-tasked environments managing small projects
- University degree or college certificate in communications
- Experience working in a non-profit environment, an asset
- Direct experience in a communications related work environment, an asset
- Visual orientation; a good “eye” for design
- Basic graphic design skills and some experience with one ore more common design tools
- Experience developing communications
- The ability to apply design skill to common office packages such as MS Word and Powerpoint
- Ability to organize and prioritize work systematically especially where there are competing priorities
- Superb communication skills, both written and verbal in English; French an asset
- Understanding of various communications tools and methods
- Experience working in a busy office, meeting a wide range of requests
- Go-getter, driven personality
- Demonstrated interest in communications and design
- Respect for WHS’s mandate and goals
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Willingness to be flexible with hours/break times
- Excellent personal presentation
- An interest in animal welfare and advocacy
Directly accountable to the Director of Communications & Public Affairs
Has frequent contact with WHS staff, volunteers, board members, sponsors, and donors
Standards of Performance
Efficiency, timeliness, and diligence are demonstrated in the accomplishment of assigned duties. Communicate effectively and respectfully with all media, external stakeholders, suppliers, donors, staff and volunteers. Maintain high standard of customer service and respect for all is maintained at all times. Confidentiality is maintained on all matters pertaining to The Winnipeg Humane Society and The Winnipeg Humane Society Foundation.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Planning and Implementation
Responsible for developing and implementing community outreach activities, campaigns, and strategies to promote WHS programs and services, with a strong focus on WHS adoptable animals. Organize, attend, and/or participate in outreach events and promotions. Maintain outreach portion of the communications calendar.
- Build “creative/graphics” and/or information for the website: billboards, news stories, Blogs as required.
- Day to day management of the WHS Facebook page, including updating and ongoing monitoring, gaining input from WHS staff as necessary.
- Assessing and ensuring information applicable to the website may be appropriate to post on The WHS Facebook page.
- Post videos, podcasts, etc. to WHS Youtube.com and itunes.com accounts as necessary.
- Post one video a minimum of twice a month (ideally every week) of both a retail item and an adoptable animal; monthly video to face chat on advocacy issue
To assist in the production of other internal and external WHS communications, publications, materials, and press releases, in consultation with other WHS staff.
Design, Branding, and Images
- To maintain a ‘house-style’ in all WHS written communications
- To maintain, in liaison with other WHS staff and external consultants as required, strong WHS visual branding
- To maintain the WHS photo library for use across a range of communications forms.
Events & Community Outreach
- To contribute to planning of and arrangements for WHS Communications & Public Awareness events, in particular regarding production of materials, media coordination, and distribution of press materials, as required.
- To represent The WHS at internal and external events as required Media
- To support the Director of Communications & Public Affairs on media events
- Ability to recognize news stories and act swiftly by communicating with the Director of Communications & Public Affairs to determine feasibility of media coverage and actions.
- To distribute media releases as required
- To write briefs for the Executive Director or Director of Public Affairs, as required
- Coordinate weekly media segments for Breakfast Television
- Appear as a guest on media segments with Breakfast Television, Shaw TV, CTV, as needed.
- To develop, promote and adhere to best practice and to agreed systems and procedures across all areas of work
- To remain informed of issues affecting The WHS, animal welfare news, and wider policy areas
- To undertake other duties as required commensurate with the level of this position Standards of Performance
- Efficiency, timeliness, accuracy and diligence are demonstrated in the accomplishment of assigned duties.
- Communicate effectively with all media, external stakeholders, suppliers, donors, staff and volunteers.
- Maintain high standard of customer service and respect for all is maintained at all times.
- Confidentiality is maintained on all matters pertaining to The Winnipeg Humane Society and The Winnipeg Humane Society Foundation.